This course provides an introduction to selecting water sources and determining water requirements for developing suitable sources of supply from ground or surface water sources. You will learn how to determine water requirements for a development and how to size its water supply system. You will learn about wells and pumps and how to calculate well yield. Both ground water and surface water sources are discussed, including their intakes, pumping facilities and equipment. A useful bibliography is included for future reference and a sample well design exercise is provided.
2. WATER REQUIREMENTS
3. CAPACITY OF WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM
4. WATER SUPPLY SOURCES
5. GROUND WATER SUPPLIED
6. SURFACE WATER SUPPLIES
8. RAW WATER PUMPING FACILITIES
9. WATER SYSTEM DESIGN PROCEDURE
APPENDIX A: BIBLIOGRAPHY
APPENDIX B: SAMPLE WELL DESIGN
APPENDIX C: DRILLED WELLS
• Learn how to estimate domestic water requirements.
• Learn how to determine the capacity of water systems using effective population and capacity factors.
• Learn how environmental and water quality considerations are incorporated in the water supply system planning and design process.
• Learn how to use a check list when investigating existing water sources.
• Learn an evaluation process for ground water supplies.
• Learn about the different types of wells, when and where they are used, and methods for their construction.
• Learn the parameters for selecting well sites.
• Learn about well discharge formulas and how to apply them.
• Learn the fundamentals of aquifer testing.
• Learn the relationship between anticipated well yield and optimum well casing size.
• Learn how to specify well screens for optimum performance.
This course is intended for civil engineers and other infrastructure design and construction professionals who want to learn about the basic technology, design guidelines and materials and equipment used in design and construction of ground and surface water supply systems.
This course will introduce you to basic considerations in design and construction of facilities for ground and surface water supplies including wells and intake structures.
Upon completion of this continuing education course you will have an understanding of the basic considerations you need to know about to develop ground and surface water supplies for all types of developments.