This continuing education course presents design criteria and cost analysis methods for the sizing and justification of solar heat collectors for space heating and cooling of buildings and domestic hot water (DHW) heating. Information is presented to enable engineers to understand solar space conditioning and water heating systems and conduct feasibility studies based on solar collector performance, site location, and economics. Both retrofit and new installations are considered.
1.2 RELATED CRITERIA
1.3 SOLAR ENERGY
2. FLAT PLATE SOLAR COLLECTORS
2.2 ENERGY STORAGE AND AUXILIARY HEAT
2.3 DOMESTIC HOT WATER SYSTEMS (DHW)
2.4 THERMOSYPHON, BATCH AND INTEGRAL COLLECTOR SYSTEMS
2.5 SPACE HEATING AND DHW SYSTEMS
2.6 PASSIVE SYSTEMS
2.7 SOLAR COOLING SYSTEMS
2.8 SYSTEM CONTROLS
• Learn about standards and performance criteria relating to solar heating systems
• Learn about solar radiation and how it is captured by solar collectors
• Learn the fundamentals of solar collector orientation
• Learn about flat plate solar collectors
• Learn about absorber plate coatings
• Learn the purpose of transparent coverings and insulation for collectors
• Learn the fundamentals of air and liquid collectors
• Learn about selective coatings for flat plate collectors
• Learn about flat plate collector housings, gaskets and sealants
• Learn the pros and cons of different collector fluids
• Learn techniques for collector freeze protection
• Learn about the space cooling systems that can be solar powered
This course is intended for engineers, architects and other building design and construction professionals who want to learn about the basic technology of solar collectors and how they can be employed to power space heating and cooling and domestic hot water heating systems for buildings.
This course will introduce you to solar collectors, energy storage and auxiliary heating systems, passive solar heating, and solar powered cooling systems.
Upon completion of this course you will have an understanding of the standards and performance criteria for solar heating systems, solar radiation and its collection, important collector features, freeze protection, air and liquid collectors, collector fluids, and solar powered cooling systems.